We programme throughout the year, usually 12 to 18 months in advance. Different decisions and activity can affect programming decisions; we are not a regularly funded organisation so must consider this when planning ahead. We currently print and distribute two brochures annually, with print deadlines in December and May. It is best to get in contact as soon as possible.
Charlotte, who leads on our programming, manages lots of other work in her role as Director so please bare this in mind.
Final programme decisions may be made when we have enough potential shows on the table to make a decision about the balance of the programme. Final programme decisions may be made when the companies we have provisionally booked know about their funding too.
The LAC team hold monthly programming meetings where Charlotte shares some options with the whole team and everyone is invited to feedback as well as offer some of their own suggestions of work they have seen or heard about that might be of interest.
Whilst fees and availability are key factors in programme decision-making other things we have to consider include;
- Commitment to other shows
- Balance of programme and artforms
- Fit with other programmes and projects
- Audience potential
- Staffing restrictions
- Staging and technical requirements
- Sales pitch i.e. tour pack and quality of information available
- Balancing risk (financial and artistic)
- Gender and diversity balance and equality across the programme
- Personal taste
- Geographical factors, particularly the carbon impact of travel
- Status of show in terms of funding